Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Spoil Sport.. Nutrition According to Me!

Let me begin with this disclaimer.... I am NOT a dietician.  My only formal education on the topic of nutrition was in nursing school where I took a semester course on the subject.  However, it is a topic of interest to me and I have learned quite a few things about myself when paying close attention to my diet.  First of all, Michael Phelps I am not.  Apparently his diet was loaded with all kinds of saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium, yet his performance remained unmatched.  How I dream of genetics like that!  I am also not a complete health nut... I have my vices, the main one being sugar.  But I think I have found a balance and in the course of months of what I would consider a "good" diet followed by weeks of what I would consider a "bad" diet (at least where my performance is concerned), I have noticed some very definitive  patterns.

When I'm tired, I eat like shit.  When I eat like shit, well of course, I also feel like it too.  When I feel bad, I cannot efficiently and happily do my normal daily activities, let alone, exercise well.  I remember being fresh out of nursing school and working night shift.  Night shift and I did not get along.  I am, by nature, an early bird.  I go to bed early and I get up early.  It is just the way I'm wired (I commend those who have trained themselves to be this way... I know what a major sacrifice it is).  I often wonder what kind of runner  I would be if I were not a morning person.  I don't think I'd fit 1/2 of the workouts in I would need to marathon train, so you non-morning people who are getting out there, YOU ARE AWESOME and you are much more dedicated that I.  Really, it is not hard for me to be up and out the door.  If you see me running at 10 pm to fit my workouts in, then you can shoot me a pat on the back e-mail.   So it goes without saying, that night shift wreaked havoc on my body, as I believe it does to many.  One of the things my co-workers and I would do to pass the time, was eat.  And I'm not talking healthy salads, fruits and whole grains either.  No, we'd bring in our griddles and make pancakes, sausage, eggs, biscuits and bacon. And not just every once in a while... a lot!  The slower the time passed, the more we ate, whether to cure boredom or stay awake.  Then we'd head home to sleep.  I'd often rise at 1:30 p.m. with a pounding headache and zero motivation to do anything.  I'd be tired and nauseated.  It was a dreadful feeling really and I got used to feeling that way for 6 long months.  I'd gained a little weight, maybe 5 lbs, which all things considered, was a miracle it wasn't much more.  I was a newly wed with no kids and could head to the gym at any time of the day.  I was dedicated to exercise, but mostly to control weight, rather than to draw enjoyment from it.  Truth be told, I can't say I enjoyed it much back then because I was always felt so bad.  But I am vain, and therefore, I continued to exercise daily.

Fast forward to a normal schedule with normal hours and a normal bedtime and wake time.  Continue to fast forward to 4 kids, husband in school, full time working hours.  My diet changed, but this time everything was "light" or "reduced fat" or "sugar-free".  There was not a lick of fat to be found in my house for a few years.  Fat was the enemy.  Interestingly enough, I don't recall my exercise performance getting any better nor do I remember enjoying exercise any more than I did years earlier when I was a bit less like a food drill sargeant.  This went on for many years.  A couple of years ago I had a conversation with a chemist from the EPA.  What he told me made a huge impact on some of the changes I've made in my diet, particularly when it comes to artificial sweeteners.  Now let me just say,  I won't even put it in here.  My point is not to be preachy or scare the hell out of anyone and Lord knows there are a MILLION theories out there about what foods cause which disease and while I may be trying to avoid certain cancers, I may be increasing my risk of other things in the process, so you know, you just take information at face value these days.

Last winter I began to notice that when I viewed and consumed food as a fuel source that powered my body and less like this struggle I was always up against about what I should and should not be eating, I was truly performing better.  I asked Sarah to help me form a nutrition plan for marathon training for the Pig, which I followed pretty religiously (and she did include wine as a "survival snack".  Who couldn't love a dietician like that?).  First thing I noticed is that my body required lots of calories because it was burning lots of calories.  When I matched what was being burned, things were "in balance" and when I was making those calories foods that aided in performance, I was, well... performing better, feeling better, sleeping better.  I wasn't really eating anything "light" or "reduced fat" or "sugar free" anymore either.  My "bad fats" were in moderation (and yes, I did and do eat them), but they were the real deal.  No fake butter for me.  Paula Dean would be so proud!  I no longer drink "diet" anything (this was a big change)  I mostly drink water or Gatorade when I have a long exercise session or long run.  Oh and I also drink coffee and yes, I do drink wine and beer moderately... for crying out loud I'm the mother of FOUR!

I followed basically the same diet over the summer that I did during the spring.  Foods that were new or different in my house a long time ago, are now staples... brown rice, whole wheat pasta, olive oil and many others.  My family has adjusted well and I might add, I have noticed positive changes in them as well.  Since I haven't been running (Oh boy, but I am now!  Post for later), my diet has been horrible.  Christmas cookies for lunch?  Yup, not just once in a while either.  So now I'm running again.  The goal is to stay healthy, be smart, stay injury free, perform like a machine and feel awesome while doing it.  Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment