Saturday, December 18, 2010

Patience

Well the posts are fewer and farther between for a few reasons.  For starters, I'm trying to sleep a little longer in the mornings.  Instead of a 3:30-4:00 wake up time, I'm shooting for 4:30-5:00, giving me a little less time to sit at the computer.   Secondly, as I've hinted, I'm running again.  I am going slowly and cautiously, running only 3 days a week at a relatively easy pace.  I am doing no hills and no speedwork and will keep away from those wonderful workouts until January.  This is difficult.  My leg feels good and my training "should" have started for May's marathon.  What keeps me from panicking and the "I won't be ready!" freakouts are recalling on the summer when I had a few down weeks at the beginning of training for Columbus, yet I was physically ready for that race when the day arrived.

Training for Columbus began in mid June.  John and I were away for our anniversary and I would have to do my first long run of training on the treadmill.... 10 miles... YUCK!  I awoke that Sunday feeling fine.  I ate breakfast and headed to the gym.  John even agreed to run on a treadmill next to me, which was shocking since he "hated" running (not so much anymore).  As I started running I noticed I just didn't feel well.  I was out of breath very quickly and feeling very exhausted.  It was strange because I was well rested and mentally prepared for my treadmill task.  After 1mile, I knew I could not continue, so I called it quits.  Sometimes it takes a little longer to warm up, but this was different and I knew I'd be lucky to get even another mile in.  What I didn't know was that I was at the start of a persistent little virus that lingered for many weeks.  Exhaustion and exercise intolerance were my worst symptoms.  I'd had one day of fever and then none.  I'd developed a sinus infection that took 3 antibiotics to clear (HINT... it was viral)... so the antibiotics were actually doing nothing.

During those weeks, my running suffered.  On weekends when I was able to get in some mileage, I'd have to come home and sleep.  I began to think that training for a BQ was virtually impossible and I may have to alter my goal to a "finish".  I began to worry about something more serious and had more appointments, work-ups and tests done that I've had combined in a lifetime I believe.  I had just never felt this wiped out for this long.  My blood work indicated a "viral infection", which could have been anything and Lord knows it's hard to pinpoint which virus.  I began to feel better in mid-July, but still not 100%.  I was getting in some better and longer runs and not needing to nap in between.  Occasionally I'd have a day where I felt wiped out again.  Looking back, I think I tried to push my body during weeks when it really needed rest to recover, hence a longer recovery time.  I'd even undergone a cardiac work-up that scared the HELL out of me, but thank God, came back normal.  Chest pressure that turned out to be reflux was the reason for the cardiac work-up.  Imagine the panic as I recalled the weeks of being exhausted followed by strange feelings of pressure in my chest.  It was not a good week to say the least!  But God is good, prayers were answered and all was well..... and so the REAL training began!

Once I was back to normal, my workouts were surprisingly good.  I had still been running during the down weeks, but now I was feeling really good and my running had seemingly not suffered much at all.  I had incorporated a once a week track workout, which I had never done with any other training.  I learned to pace myself during a variety of speed workouts.  My training plan called for 800s only, but for a couple of weeks, I experimented with mile repeats.  With the track work, my confidence soared!  It was here that I also developed a mentally tough attitude because track work is very daunting.  It whips your ass.. to put it mildly.  During one of my final track workouts, I ended up getting to 8 800s while keeping the pace consistent.  This was the day I had NO DOUBTS that I would run Columbus well.  Once I hit 4, I kept telling myself I'd do "just one more".  Four later, I was no doubt done, but I was ecstatic when I stopped my watch and saw 3:29, which give or take a couple of seconds, had been my average for every one.  I realized what I could still do when I "thought" I didn't have any gas left in the tank, which was at 4 800s.

The track workouts, combined with most of my long runs being run on a hilly course, provided me so much opportunity to grow mentally as a tough runner.  It is amazing how much further or harder one can go than is believed.  So many of my limits were self-imposed, as are many peoples.  A couple of days before the marathon, my brother Jack, who had done a 100 mile footrace in July, sent me an e-mail that I'd like to share.  He has no clue how much comfort his words brought during my final days of tapering, when I was freaking out:


Kate,
You have done everything you needed to do and more in order to run 26.2 miles in less than 3:45.  While you may feel that tapering is the worst time ever, look at it as bottling that energy for miles19-24.  I guarantee you will feel little pain after mile 24 if you are still on time to reach your goal.  At mile 25 you will feel no pain, none.  Your legs will go light and you will coast in as fresh as you started.  The only part you need to get through is mile 19-24.  It really is easy, you just need to get your mind right.  You need to run a 24 mile race, the last two miles will happen.  Get to mile 24 at goal pace. Adrenalin will carry you home.
Before the 4 minute mile barrier was broken many thought the heart would explode after someone ran that fast for a mile.  First, Roger Bannister broke the limit, less than a month later his record was broken.  The record fell over and over again because people knew it was possible.  4 minutes turned out to be an artificial barrier.
There is no question in my mind you can physically run a 3:45.  It would not surprise me if the marathon after you qualify you run close to 3:30 since you would have beaten the 3:45 monster.  Right now 3:45 is an artificial barrier.  
You will have doubts but you can not succumb.  Have a plan to get through the tough miles.  You can do this.  Do not stop.  Push from aid station to aid station.  If that is too much, push to the next crack in the road, then the next, then the next until you are in a better place.  Or you can run Mile 19 for John, 20 for Will, 21 Emma, 22 Jack and 23 for Lucy.  This will get you to mile 24.  
If you have a negative thought, replace it with a good one.  Get to mile 24 no matter what.  Think of it as a 24 mile race.  The last two will take care of themselves.  
Good Luck Sister.  This time I am your “Virtual Crew”!  

Still provides a good cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment