Monday, November 8, 2010

**Maggie's Page**

This post is dedicated to my sister, Maggie.  If you notice, it is in bold, italicized print as to capture your attention better.  Why would I dedicate a post not in sequence to my sister you ask?  Well, after a public ass whooping on Facebook for my failure to acknowledge her for: 1) running the New York Marathon with me (which she did not run WITH me, but rather ahead of me) and 2) flying to Columbus in 2009 and 2010 to be there when I crossed the finish line.... oh yes, and the first time, she was pregnant AND lugging along two adorable baby girls, she replied to my most recent post with the following remark "After a quick scan for my name, I hit delete".  I am afraid if I do not humor her, I will lose a precious blog follower.  So Maggie, this post's for you!!


My sister Maggie is a bit, well, competitive.  She hates to lose more than anyone I know.  Not just at races, but at everything.  She has a quick temper and a sharp tongue and often times the two come together in her knee jerk reaction moments of "reply all".  I have had to defend her often to my friends who don't know her... swearing she really isn't a bitch.  I mean, has she not realized that I have yet to mention the two people who graced me with the genetics to become the runner I want to be?  Nope, probably not.  Maggie simply sees that "SHE" has not been mentioned.  She has the patience of a newborn waiting for a meal (except with her children... she is a very patient mother).  


My sister has run 3 marathons.  The New York Marathon in '96 (the same one I ran), the first annual San Diego Rock 'n' Roll Marathon and the inaugural Flying Pig Marathon.  Her last two marathons were sub 4 hour marathons.  Pretty impressive, I'd say.  I'm not sure she ever went after a BQ, she just simply ran like a bat out of Hell, tanked, yet still pulled off decent times.  That is pretty much how she attacks life as well.  She is a lot of fun to watch... especially at parties, which she is the life of!


So with all this competitive, impatient, childlike knee jerk behavior, how the heck is she one of the dearest people in my life?  Maggie is one of funniest human beings I know.  She is also fiercely loyal.  I mean, you can tell this girl ANYTHING and if you so desire, the information will go NOWHERE.  I can be in a horrendous mood, Mag can call and when I get off the phone, I am cracking up.  She has a very close relationship with John (not in a creepy way).  They are very close friends, teasing each other endlessly.  I know it is always a treat for him when Maggie comes to town.  They sit around, tossing back a few beers and have a good time reminiscing about the time I was pregnant with Emma and would fall asleep "before Wheel of Fortune" on the couch... "Gee, Kate, even OLD people can stay awake for Wheel of Fortune." My bad, guys.  I mean, I guess I should have been able to stay up later after rising at 4 a.m, working out then heading off for a 12 hour shift on a busy Labor and Delivery unit.... oh yes and don't forget, while pregnant.  They really enjoy bringing that up for some reason.  Lazy asses!  Maggie loves my children almost as much as I do and they love aunt Maggie as well.  They look so forward to her visits (and her horrendous dollar store gifts and the disgusting amounts of candy she brings them).  She showers them with attention, telling them stories and playing games with them.  Let me tell ya, I am not that aunt.  I love my nieces and nephews, but I'm not THAT good.


I will not go into her visits to Columbus for my marathons because that would ruin my future blogs.  She will have to wait for that honorable mention.  But know this... if you run into her sarcastic, critical, insanely inappropriate comments on this site, Facebook or because she "replied all" to an e-mail, know that it's all good because I LOVE MY SISTER and that is how we roll!



1 comment:

  1. woo woo! I was joking in my public ass whoopin'on FB and when I said I deleted your last post...and while I'm a bit creeped out at the glimpse of my eulogy....I'll take it! I love my sister too!

    ReplyDelete