Thursday, January 13, 2011

What up?

Well it's January 13th and so far, only one entry this month. I know it's thrown you off as you anxiously await the next exciting entry about my running life each day! Ok, there is heavy sarcasm in that sentence. There just isn't much to tell. I hesitate to disclose whether or not I've been running. And by that, I'm sure y'all realize I have!

As promised, to myself, I waited my two weeks. Other than jogging a very short distance last week to meet Suttan for morning walks (less than a mile), I really hadn't done any running. Monday morning I laced up and nervously went for a run. I went by myself as not to be tempted by speeds I shouldn't be running right now. Things felt great. I came home and John was dressed for work and practically asleep on the couch. "How'd it go?". By now, he is as anxious as I am for a complete recovery. "It was good. No pain anywhere." "Glad to hear it." Eyes close again for a few more minutes of sleep before his crazy day begins... Off topic, my question is why doesn't he just stay in bed longer instead of getting up and ready and then napping for a bit on the couch? Makes no sense to me, but I guess it's just his thing.
I'm nervous about tomorrow's run. May even push it to Saturday. Wednesday I ran again. While running things felt fine but throughout the day, I had tightness in my calf. Tightness doesn't bother me so much but I don't want it to develop into soreness which is what I'm

afraid of. Soreness that continues to get pushed leads to pain and pain is something that halts my running. I've ignored both tightness, then soreness before and the end result has always been bad, so this one, I approach with caution. So the question is this... Am I being careless running again? Well, I can't imagine any runner out there wouldn't run if they were feeling great, went out slowly and cautiously and felt no discomfort. Every single one of us would then go out again. I know lots of runners who run through all kinds of pain. And I would too if I wasn't looking toward the fact that doing so will not allow me to race well and would zap any enjoyment I got while running not to mention lead to way big problems. So no, I'm not being careless....this time anyway. It's true I'm in a hurry to shed the 5 lbs I've gained since October and no I don't think I'm fat but it bugs the shit out of me nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment