Saturday, January 29, 2011

School of Hard Knocks...Student of the Month

Ever since the Columbus Marathon, I have focused on this weekend.  The thought of coming to Houston was filled with excitement and anticipation.  This is the weekend I will become a cetified distance running coach through the Road Runner's Club of America.  I actually registered before the marathon, knowing that this is something I would love to do.  Maggie and her family live in Houston so I'd get to also visit with her.  The course is 16 hours... 8 hours a day for two days. 

I was very prepared and organized for my trip.  I flew in yesterday morning, spent the day with my sister and 2 very excited nieces and nephew I finally decided to look up the address for where I'd be driving in the morning.  My brother in law, Geoff, mapquested it for me... looked easy enough, 23 miles away.  I went to the RRCA site and went to the course overview section.  As I scanned down the page (mind you, it is 8 pm), my eyes fixed on the course days:  Friday, January 28th 7-4 and Saturday, January 29th 7-4.  I looked again but the dates didn't change.  It was Friday evening, January 28th.  I had missed the first day.

So here I am.  I have missed 8 hours of this expensive certification course.  The requirements clearly state I must be present for the entire 16 hour to obtain certification and there are no refunds within 7 days.  Obviously, I did not sleep last night.  I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the site, replied to e-mails from the course director.  I wrote the brief bio they'd requested and submitted it.  And never once, did I think the days were anything but Saturday and Sunday.  It did strike me as odd that they were holding class on the same day as the Houston Marathon (tomorrow), but I didn't really give it much thought.
The test is a 100 question on-line test that I will have 30 days to complete.  I will have all the materials from yesterday's seminars, but I will have missed the part I was so looking forward to.  I don't even know if I will be allowed to join in today since I missed yesterday.  I am about to find out.

So where is my head.  Well, no doubt, this sucks.  But I am going to put this out there BEFORE I go.  BEFORE I know what the director will say and BEFORE I find out if I'm able to take today's seminars... I am ok.  I have a very overwhelming sense of  "this completely stinks, but it's going to be fine, whatever the outcome."  It's a disappointment, not a tragedy.  Life is so much easier when you can distinguish between the two.

Having great friends who provide humor in a suckish situation helps too.  Thank you, Sarah, for reminding me to wear a hat today so they can't see that I am a blonde!

And Jen, looks like I can help you get at least halfway to Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment