Friday, January 21, 2011

TRX... my two cents

What the heck does this title mean and why am I blogging about it?  TRX stands for "training resistance exercise".  It is essentially a complete home gym that comes in the form of a few straps and anchors.  It is sold by a company called Fitness Anywhere.  At first glance, this thing looks quite gimmicky.  I mean, it's not cheap (at least you don't think it is until you use it and find out what it's capable of doing for you).  I believe it retails for about $189.00, plus you've got to purchase the anchors.... either for your door, ceiling or both.  Why in the world would I EVER do a product review in my personal blog?  Because I believe this could quite possibly be the best thing I can do to enhance or improve my running performance.  And since this is a blog about running and I don't mean just any kind of running but the kind that will allow me to wave to my parents as I run past their alma mater (that would be Boston College), I'm blogging about it. And if you are a runner and you are reading this from anywhere in the world, you just may want to consider this.

Ok, a few months ago, Sarah tells me she is going to Columbus to take a certification course in something called TRX.  It made no sense to me as she tried to describe this "suspension training" system.  Sounded insane, but you know, whatever.  I couldn't quite wrap my brain around what she was talking about.  After she came home, she was pretty excited... and sore.  So now I'm a bit intrigued because she is in tip top shape and it takes a lot for her to say she's sore.  However if Sarah was sore, I immediately put the thought in my brain "too hard for me then, no thanks."  About a week later, I ask her to bring the thing to my house so I could get a look at what she was talking about.  So she comes over and pulls out these black straps (I know, that sounds pretty bad, doesn't it?  There is a reason I put them in my checked luggage when I recently traveled and not on my carry on... didn't want security asking me to explain the straps which surely would have been questioned because there is metal on the anchor points).  Now one thing that is important to stress is that Sarah doesn't ever push products or equipment or really anything.  You ask her what the best refueling drink is after a long run and you'll get "good old chocolate milk".  Not any of the super janked up protein drinks marketed for post work-out recovery (although we both like Rockin' Refuel.. flavored milk that has a hefty dose of protein... and tastes YUMMY).  As someone who is a registered dietician with a masters degree in nutrition AND who is a dedicated and kick-ass runner, it's safe to assume I trust her when it comes to her opinion on this stuff.  So she brings over her TRX and is showing me what you do with it and I am very intrigued.  I can tell by the cards that come with it that I am going to like it.  It works your arms, legs, butt and core (I am so thinking "total gym" infomercial with Christy Brinkley and Chuck Norris right now... please don't.. totally different).  What I should also mention is that any piece of exercise equipment I have EVER invested in, I use... which is why you will never find a treadmill in my house.  So if you are the type to buy stuff that looks neat so that you can work-out at home then never use it, don't bother with this either.  It will just sit in a corner.  And I'm not going to promise that this will be any different and that you will for sure be using it... if you aren't the type to motivate yourself to do it,  you ain't gonna do it.  It's work.  But this is about MY experience with it.

Well, I ordered one, knowing that because I bought it, I would use it.  Along with it, I got both the door and ceiling anchors.  I usually strength train twice a week and try to target my core both at the gym and at home about 4 times a week.  Strengthening this central area of my body has had a huge effect on my running performance.  I never realized how important that was, but all the books and magazines I was reading were saying this so I began to really target that area about a year ago.  I think I have a pretty strong core.  But TRX was kicking my butt.  All the exercises you do require you to use your core muscles.  So even when you are not specifically targeting that muscle group  (say you are doing arms or legs), they are continuously engaged.  And then you get to the core specific exercises and WOW!  Those are super awesome and pretty intense.  Essentially, you are using your own body weight to strength train.  I wanted to know how it differed from using weights because that is what I'm used to and I didn't wanting to be losing anything by replacing it with TRX, so I've looked up some comparisons on-line.  I think if you are interested in bulking up and gaining significant muscle mass, you need to still use weights.  But you have to evaluate your fitness goals to make the decision.  Everything I do that isn't running is done to improve my running (although I do enjoy cycling... but hey, that improves running too).  I don't like lifting weights.  Never have.  I consider them necessary to strengthen my body so that I can run better.  I now use my TRX 3 times a week (Sarah teaches a TRX class twice a week and I use it at home one other day) but I think I will still hit the weights once a week.... only because I hate giving something up.  Do I think TRX alone is enough to improve my running.  Absolutely yes!  In the six weeks I've been using it (more so in the last two of classes), I can tell a big difference in core strength.  But remember, I'm consistent.  I USE it.

So there you go.  My analysis of the TRX system.  I love it.  For what it does as a total body workout, it is not expensive.  If you are a runner (or even if you are not and want something different in the world of resistance training), consider it.  I believe it will be a huge asset to improving performance.  I've attached a link for you to check out if you are like me and cannot possibly imagine what this thing is:

https://www.fitnessanywhere.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&AFFIL=1JIU1521&utm_source=Affiliate&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=1JIU1521status=gasent

1 comment:

  1. My gym has a TRX class in the morning. Although I can't go b/c of our homeschooling schedule, I'm absolutely going to be in this class next school year. 4 weeks into the class and they've posted "after" photos at the front desk. Best advertisement ever.

    ReplyDelete