Monday, January 16, 2012

Oh HILL!

I am going to tackle the subject of hill running in this post.  Two things are motivating me to do so (ok three... I'm buying time until coffee has settled enough for my morning "recovery" run).  The other two are people.  One is a girl I am currently coaching to run her first half marathon in none other but... the Flying Pig Marathon and the other is... well, she knows who she is.  She reads this blog, she hates hill running and oh, btw, she too is running the Flying Pig Marathon and using it as a Boston Qualifier.

So there it is.  Right off the bat, these two lovely ladies have a disadvantage going into their races.  It's not a physical disadvantage.  Or a disadvantage in the sense of inadequate training.  It is a disadvantage because they have labeled themselves as runners who hate hills and the self fulfilling prophecy WILL surface during that race.  And that three mile incline threatens to be the demise of their race day goals, unless they change their attitude about hill running.

I like running hills.  Let's clarify... running hills is not enjoyable.  It does not feel good to me.  Going uphill hurts and is often very, VERY difficult, especially when it's a quarter mile steep climb immediately into the run... so essentially, your warm up (think Carolina Pines Drive or West Road, Harrison runners...).  But I have learned to view hill running in a very different light.  First off, I can't worry about pace while running uphill.  I think more about strategy and how to tackle the task at hand.  I already know I'm not going to hit race pace while running a steep uphill and if I try, I know I'm screwing myself for the end miles of my run (unless the actual workout is hill repeats).  Secondly, I already know it's temporary.  There is relief at the top.  I can do anything for 2 minutes or 3 minutes or whatever.  Then I get to recover.  Again, I rarely think beyond the hill.  This sounds so simple, but yet has worked wonders in getting me to change the way I think of hills.  Finally, I know that running hills aids in becoming a faster and stronger runner.  Now I realize that just because it sounds simple, doesn't mean adopting a new attitude is simple.  But when you do, your training and enthusiasm will explode.... and I realize that sounds flowery and barfingly too positive.. but IT. IS. THE. TRUTH!!  Running hills also helps develop a colorful vocabulary :)

And sure, metaphorically speaking, you can look at running hills like you look at life's challenges.  Yesterday I was smack in the middle of the last hill on Strimple.  It was really hard and I was tired.  I asked Suttan if she wanted me to start yelling out metaphors about how running uphill was symbolic for life's tough times.  Pretty sure she was giving me the 'ol "GFY" in her mind.  I was cracking up in my mind (I was the only one laughing... pretty sure Sarah wasn't laughing).  But it was because I needed SOMETHING to get me up there.  Right then, humor did the trick.  Use whatever mind voodoo works for you.

Let us not forget that this is a choice.  It is not a duty, a responsibility, a job or a life dependent activity.  It is a choice and a gift to be able to train like this.  To be out running on a cold and beautiful morning with friends is one of my most favorite things in life, even if it isn't physically easy on that particular day.  No more grumpy training for me.  Take the choice to train out of your hands and I guarantee you will never look at it the same.  Last year's stress fracture zapped a new perspective into me like nothing else.

Now, who's up for Marvin hill repeats tomorrow at 6:20?

Happy Birthday to my beautiful and amazing mother, who reads my blog and at times must wonder where she went wrong :)  I love you, mom.  Thanks for making it possible for me to run races and do what I love!

1 comment:

  1. As a decidedly amateur jogger who's favorite thing is a 3miles-5-times-a-week schedule, I have to agree about hills. I miss hills. Not even running on the beach compares to the thrill of conquering a seemingly endless incline.

    ReplyDelete