Friday, February 11, 2011

Perspective

Five years ago today, I received one of two of the worst phone calls I've ever gotten.  Why do these calls ALWAYS seem to shake you from a dead sleep in the middle of the night?  The call was from my sister-in-law, Keli, who was telling Maggie that my brother-in-law, Mitch, had been found unresponsive, not breathing and with no pulse by my sister.  He had been taken to the hospital and that is "didn't look good at all."  Given the fact that Mitch went to bed as a "healthy" 30 year old, this news was shocking to say the least.

I was once told by someone that if they "didn't absolutely KNOW they would qualify for Boston, they wouldn't put themselves out there and even try."  In other words, why would someone waste their time with such intense training and suffering if they weren't POSITIVE?  I think the deep down message was that I was foolish to keep trying since I didn't seem sure I could do it.

How do these paragraphs connect?  Well, I'm trying to get a point across about perspective.  How one looks at things.  My sister could be a bitter, angry at the world person.  She was dealt some damn shitty cards.  But she isn't.  On the contrary, she is happy.  She has chosen to attack life head on and move on, despite the monumental tragedy that fell before her.

It is because I am surrounded by incredibly wonderful and positive people that I "try" to find the silver lining in things that can make us bitter.... multiple attempts at Boston, running injuries and mixing up important dates.... the list goes on.

I have attached the link to Wendi Jenkins entry yesterday, who is the inspiration for this topic.  Honestly, if she can find the silver lining, there is no reason why any of us can't when disappointment happens in our lives.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sethjenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment