Thursday, February 13, 2014

Angry

There has been something that has been bugging me lately that I just have to vent about.  I usually don't take my "issues" and blog about them (publicly anyway), but this one, I must.

WHAT IN THE HELL IS UP WITH ALL THE ANGRY, RUNNER HATIN' DRIVERS OUT THERE?

This winter has been the worst ever.  I don't know if this ridiculously cold and snowy mid western winter has just gone and made everyone annoyed and mean, but seriously, bad attitudes are going to kill a runner or two in my town if this keeps up.  For example, I can safely say that on 75% of the runs I have done lately, I have had to jump onto the snow banked curb to avoid getting hit.  This would be on a four lane road with the lane next to the driver completely free of other cars.  Oh and don't think I am not reflective and visible.  Because I am.  I not only run facing traffic (the correct way for a runner), I also wear a headlamp that drivers can see well enough in advance to think, "Oh hey, there's a runner up ahead.  How wonderful and dedicated for that person to be out at 5:30 am, making sure not to take away family time and getting it done before the kids get up.  I will get over in the next lane as to not even come close to him/her.  Sure hope he/she has a wonderful day.  Say, I'd like to try that running sometime!"  By the way the cars whiz by, skimming the outside of my jacket, I'm thinking the thought is more like this, "Who is that asshole up ahead in this sub zero degree weather?  What a dumbass!  Doesn't he/she know that running in weather like this is bad for your lungs/muscles/bones/heart?  I think I'm gonna toss my cigarette out at watch him/her cringe.  And I ain't moving.  This road is for cars, not runners.  Oh and I hate my job and am really pissed that I have to go to work this early."

To that person, I'd like to say I pray for you.  I'd love to say that.  But usually I tell you to f*%k off under my breath and thank you for nearly killing me.  I am not doing anything illegal by being out there.  I am preserving my sanity and often times figuring out life's problems and saying some prayers... well, until that little distraction comes along.

I have a long way to go.  Pray for me, please.  And be kind to runners.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more. Narcissistic drivers who wouldn't dream of moving over or slowing down...even when there's ample time to do both--are a constant problem when I do a run.

    ReplyDelete